Wednesday, March 22, 2023
HomeNewsIRS Issues Tax Refunds to Crypto Hodlers Who Reported Accurately

IRS Issues Tax Refunds to Crypto Hodlers Who Reported Accurately


The United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS), also known as the nation’s tax office, has issued refunds to a number of cryptocurrency users who declared their crypto holdings and paid the appropriate taxes on them. The news first appeared in a report by Law360 published last week.

London Summit 2019 Launches the Latest Era in FX and Fintech – Join Now

Crypto holders have been required to submit documentation detailing the trades and transactions that resulted in their gains and losses at the time of filing.

Chandan Lodha, the co-founder of crypto tax firm CoinTracker, told Law360 that the refunds could signal that the tax agency is eager to demonstrate that those who pay taxes on their crypto will not be punished–indeed, while the total number of refunds issued is unknown, one crypto holder was reportedly notified that he owed $3900 in taxes, and was then awarded a full refund after he had paid the sum.

“Get compliant as quick as you can”

CoinTracker has worked with hundreds of hodlers in order to help them pay taxes and to respond to a number of different letters that the IRS sent to roughly 10,000 individuals who it suspected to hold cryptocurrency earlier this year. The company did not disclose how many of its customers had received refunds.

By some accounts, the recipients of the letters appear to be individuals whose Coinbase accounts were exposed following a lawsuit that the IRS filed against popular cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase. In 2017, the exchange was ordered to hand over account information on roughly 13,000 of its customers.

CPA Laura Walter, also known as the “Crypto Tax Girl,” tweeted that the letters were a “warning to everyone to get compliant as quick as you can while the IRS is still feeling somewhat forgiving”, pointing specifically to the passage that said if crypto holders “didn’t accurately report your virtual currency transactions [in the past], you should file amended returns.”




Most Popular